Friday, February 5, 2010

34 Registers

The grocery store Stephen and I worked at when we were first married had seven (I think) registers. We averaged three open at one time.
This Market Basket has 34 (yes, I said 34) registers. Clay and I stopped to take this picture for those of you whom are ruralites or suburbanites who quake at the thought of this large of a store.

Yes, they run all the registers at the same time on the weekends. And yep, each register gets its own bagger. And even more yep: there are still lines.

This urban shopping experience is downright stressful. We have become expert shoppers, able to dodge the elderly, spare the young children on foot, heed the young in our own carts, maneuver around the glass bottle displays, turn the cart on a dime, avoid unneeded isles, spare the deli-line at all costs, prepare diagrammed shopping lists that caters to the store's layout, and even check ingredients in the mayhem.

On a humorous note: Sim decided to explore the anatomy of a chicken's eggs this week while we were in a grocery store. In a matter of seconds, there were literally eggs in my cart, eggs on the floor, eggs in the diaper bag, and two eggs that Sim could reach- which he instantaneously smashed his hand into. I had Clay wrapped on my front (Sim was in the cart's seat) and I am grateful for the kind Greek woman that helped me. Wipes came in handy for than just dipes.

She said (in a deep Greek accent) "You have boys! NICE boys! Congratulations!." She just may have pinched a cheek or two.

-abby


5 comments:

mommom b. said...

Bet this experience taught YOU--I'd venture to say that Clay will NEVER have the opportunity to get THAT close to an egg in the store!! I agree with the woman-- Boys! Nice boys! Gotta love 'em.

Anonymous said...

I remember the supermarket in Johnstown of my childhood. There were room in the parking lot for twelve cars. We thought it was fabulous. (The note was written while watching the last of 14-16 inches of snow fall to the ground.) (Second note - Can dogs hear snow fall? Cinder sure didn't want to go out this morning before she had looked out a window!!!)

Momma moore

Tad said...

We have a grocery store here is Strasburg, named Market Basket too. It has 4 registers and is everything the 60's thought a grocery store should be. So, I don't shop there much.

Anonymous said...

Tad- maybe you could buy food there and then sell it on eBay as "vintage." How's the snow in Stras?
Miss you,
abs

Jordan said...

I love this post... the grocery stores back east are SO different than the ones out here in the west. Todd and I have fond memories of Market Basket and waiting in line 40 minutes to buy our groceries!!!


The Elf formerly known as Clay

Mom and I at the Beach

Clay and I

Mom and Clay

Followers