Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Caught off guard



Being caught off guard is not always a bad thing.
Yesterday evening I was picking up clothes off the bathroom floor when I noticed these footprints on the rug.
I was caught off guard by the lovely little prints of Sim's feet.
I'm in wonder at the gifts of God.
What an honor it is to mother his boys.

For years now I have struggled with certain aspects of mothering. I enjoy being a mother immensely, but I was/am having trouble embracing all the areas of my life and my will that have been altered. Believe it or not, all women don't dream all childhood about having babies and making pies all day : ) About two months before Clay was born, I asked God to change me and teach me in this area. Like the patient teacher that He is, He is bringing me around.

I've been going to a group for mothers. It is a group of about eighty women (it's huge!) that meet bi-weekly. We have a meeting while our children go to childcare. I mention the meeting because it has been making me more aware of something that is missing in our culture. I know it is missing because I just found it. What is missing is mothering pride. I laughed rather hard when I told Stephen that the meeting starts with women announcing birthdays, then pregnancies and adoptions. Then we have a lecturer that strictly relates to mothering, then discussion, sometimes prayer. . . In fact, I feel like I'm stepping into the 1950s at times. Bring your baked goods girls.

I used to think these types of gatherings were ridiculous. But now, I am finding that it meets a need in me. The need is pride in being a mother. I have been taking the responsibility seriously, but not enjoying the responsibility.

So perhaps you know a lonely mother or two (we're all over the place) that you could encourage. Our current culture can be a sad place for a momma. To the young mommas that read this, ( I think of Kelly, Ally, Jordan, Holly, Dee Dee, Aleen, Heather, Carol & Cindy) I hope that you have mothering pride, and if not yet, that you get that fix soon.

Happy Way-Before Mothers Day.
Love,
abby

Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:13

5 comments:

Jordan said...

What a great post, momma. After almost 3 years of mothering I think I've finally found some "mothering pride" and with the edition of another little one (a boy this time) late spring, I'm finally feeling some confidence.

Bownes said...

Wow Jordan! Congrats on the new guy. I sure hope that this pregnancy is going better than Ava's.
abs

ParrishPalace said...

OK, my favorite part of this blog is being called a YOUNG mother!!!--LOL!

No, seriously Abby-girl, you're so correct about EVERYTHING! Being a mama can be a love/hate relationship on days...It is hard!! Yet full of so many, many joys & lessons. It is a responsibility of great honor & complete servanthood all wrapped up together.

Continue to soften your heart to learn those lessons & have those growth times provided from the Lord through your motherhood experiences-you'll be so amazed and catch a greater glimpse of who God is!!

FOR THOSE NOT MOTHERS--take the time to see the ways that the Lord reveals Himself to you where you are through what & who is right there in front of you. All the 'roles' we have in life are given to us to grow us--whether through giving or receiving!!!

Anonymous said...

Abby- thanks for posting this. Very well put, and very true. I am glad you have found such a great group... sounds much like a MOPS group I attend that has been an absolute Godsend. May you continue to be blessed in mothering your gorgeous (can such a thing be said of boys? Perhaps handsome is the word I'm looking for) sons. Miss your sweet spirit! Love, Aleen

Bownes said...

Thanks Aleen (the Tindor boys are surely as handsome as ever these days!)

and Dee Dee, yep, you were included. You work so hard for your children. You are a great example of a woman who enjoys mothering and seeing her children grow on many levels.


The Elf formerly known as Clay

Mom and I at the Beach

Clay and I

Mom and Clay

Followers