Monday, April 14, 2008

infinite expectation


I'm back from camping and I had a great time.
I went hiking; (Dad, I and the group are pictured above before we left).
Ashley and Andrea are on the left, then Dad and I, then Mikey and then Danny.
I woke up at 5:15 am both mornings just to get the full experience of the wild. I had been reading Thoreau's "Walden" last month. Mom says that he had some crazy ideas and to be careful. She says "Be a critical reader, Simeon." Anyway, that said, I aspired to understand his quote I have typed below.

"We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep."
-Henry David Thoreau


I stayed in this cabin. Turns out that there was snow covering the ground!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Simeon, that cabin looks alot like the ones that your daddy stayed in on many of his family vacations as a child. An his daddy carried him around in one of those packs also--keep up the old family traditions!!! love, mom-mom

PopPop Zel said...

Simster,

Great outing! Next step ... orienteering, tripod lashings, fire starting, canoeing, latrine digging, first-aid, and cold showers!

PopPop Zel


The Elf formerly known as Clay

Mom and I at the Beach

Clay and I

Mom and Clay

Followers